Blogs > NHRegister.com's The Batter's Box

The Batter's Box provides the latest baseball news coverage of the area's top teams, prospects and happenings from around Connecticut's diamond.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sweeney Steps Down

Dennis Sweeney announced Monday he is stepping down as Law baseball coach after nine seasons.

“I felt it was the right time,” Sweeney said. “My son is 11 and I want to teach him the game of baseball like I’ve been doing for the past nine years. I was coaching since before he was born. I put my heart and soul into it and I want my son to have that as well.”

Sweeney, 40, has guided the Lawmen to plenty of success. He leaves Law with a 137-73 record. Under Sweeney, Law won five division titles, two league titles and the 2008 Class L state title.

Law posted an 18-7 mark and reached the Class L quarterfinals this season, following its third straight Southern Connecticut Conference Hammonasset Division title. Also, 21 of Sweeney’s former players have went on to play in college.

“The parents, players and umpires have been great,” said Sweeney, who teaches health at Law. “It’s been the best nine years of my baseball experience. It’s something you dream about.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home