Blogs > NHRegister.com's The Batter's Box

The Batter's Box provides the latest baseball news coverage of the area's top teams, prospects and happenings from around Connecticut's diamond.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Law beats ND-West Haven again, advances

WEST HAVEN — Matt Ferraiolo pitched a complete game shutout and Jake Rouse had the only RBI of the game in the first inning as No. 27 Law upset No. 6 Notre Dame-West Haven 1-0 in the first round of the Class L baseball tournament.
This was the third time Law (11-10) defeated the Green Knights (16-6) this season.
“I know the tougher the game the more these guys get up for it,” Law coach Greg Simler said. “I’m not surprised.”
The loss ends the Green Knights’ hopes of repeating as Class L champs.
“I think if we got by this one we might have a shot ,” Notre Dame-West Haven coach Lou Kessler said, “but in the last eight games we haven’t hit the ball. It happens, its baseball.”
Notre Dame-West Haven pitcher Gary Flowers settled down after giving up the first-inning run and only surrendered four hits overall.
Ferraiolo matched Flowers inning for inning, only allowing two hits in the game and striking out four.
“I was nervous,” Ferraiolo said, “but I like being nervous. It makes me better. My pitches have more velocity, I feel a lot better when I’m nervous.”
Law defeated Notre Dame-West Haven 1-0 in extra innings on April 24 and then 6-3 on May 12 in the regular-season.
With No. 11 Wilton up next in the second round Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. in Wilton, Simler wants his guys to stay focused.
“I told them not to get too up,” Simler said. “In tournament play, you have to come back 24 hours later.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home